|School Name:||Winchester College|
|Location:||College Street Winchester SO23 9NA United Kingdom|
|Religion:||Church of England|
|Motto:||Winchester College is an independent school for boys in the British public school tradition|
|Year Group:||Year 9 - Year 13|
|No. of Students:||690|
|No. of Boarders:||690|
|Sixth Form Entry Requirement:
Six A/A* grades at GCSE or its equivalent
Art, Bell Ringing, Combined Cadet Force, Publication, Book Binding, Christian Union, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Design and Technology, Duke of Edinburgh's Award Programme, Expeditions, Fishing, Fitness Training, Instrumental ensembles, Rifl e Club, Sub Aqua.
|Director of Admissions:
Winchester College, College Street, Winchester SO23 9NA, United Kingdom
+44 (0)1962 621 247 / +44 (0)1962 621 264
- According to the commercially published Good Schools Guide, the school "has arguably the finest tradition of scholarship of any school in the country", is "uniquely civilised", and provides an "academically, comradely and architecturally privileged boyhood most Wykehamists treasure throughout their lives." The upper-class lifestyle magazine Tatler named the school as its "Public School of the Year" in 2010.
- In the years 2007-2012 a total of 231 Wykehamists have matriculated to Oxford and Cambridge, an average of 46 per year (34% of the cohort). In addition 55 places have been secured at premier US universities, including Brown, Chicago, Columbia, Georgetown, Harvard, Princeton, UNC, UPenn and Yale over the same period. Taken together this means that 42% go to the world's leading universities.
- Winchester has its own entrance examination, and does not use Common Entrance like other major public schools.
- Every pupil at Winchester lives in a boarding house
- Each house is presided over by a housemaster and a number of house tutors (usually fi ve or six – Mon to Fri). Houses compete in school competitions, mostly in sporting competitions.
- Each house has an offi cial name, usually based on the family name of the rst housemaster
- Winchester has extensive international links with a group of schools around the world through which exchange of educational practice and ideas and cross-cultural encounter can be developed over the long term. The Winchester International Symposium has ten member schools, including Winchester.
- Art, Art History, Biology, Chemistry, Classic, Design and Technology, Economics, English, Geography, History, Mathematics, Modern languages, Physics, Science school, Music, Theology
GCE AL Subject Choice
- Art, Art History, Biology, Chemistry, Design Technology, Economics, English, French, Geography, German, Greek, History, Latin, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Music, Philosophy & Theology, Physics, Russian, Spanish.
2012/13 Boarding Fees# (GBP£) Per Term (3 Terms Per Year)
Remark: #Inclusive of tuition fees but exclusive of miscellaneous fees, such as uniform, extracurricular activities